Details About Our Policies
Our Sliding Scale System
At Primitive Pursuits we are committed to making our programs available to as many people as possible. To this end, we generate scholarships via our self-selected sliding-scale fee on a program-to-program basis. The base rate of our programs covers the cost of the program. Any payments above the base rate are tax-deductible donations to our scholarship fund. When filing for taxes Primitive Pursuits is listed under “Cornell Cooperative Extension” Tax ID #16-6072897.
To learn more about financial assistance, please visit our Scholarships page.
Common Online Payment Troubleshooting Tips
- Please login to your Account Portal on a computer (not smartphone or tablet)
- Use Firefox or Chrome as your browser (not Explorer or Safari)
- Wait at least 30 seconds after submitting your payment for the screen to change (there is no visual symbol showing that the credit card payment is processing).
- If the payment does not go through and you are on a computer using Firefox or Chrome, it may be that your credit/debit card has a past expiration date on file. Try entering your current card as a 'new' card in the Account Portal.
- Check with your bank to determine whether your account has enough balance to cover the payment.
- If you have gone through the above steps, please email us for additional assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pick Up/Drop Off Policy:
If your child is late to be picked up, or early to be dropped off, you will be charged $20 per late pick up/early drop off. By making payment for our programs you agree to this policy and agree to be charged accordingly.
Our camps are unique in that our programming occurs away from the drop off area. Due to this aspect of our programs, getting a child to the parking lot or getting them to their group during program time can require extra staff and/or a restructuring of that day’s planned activities. We understand that your summers are busy and everyone has a lot going on! Advance notice helps our instructors maintain the program’s structure with minimal disruption.
Contact our office via email (primitivepursuitscamp@gmail.
Summer 2019 Immunization Policy
As per NY State Health Department regulation, we require the most recent copy of all campers’ immunization records and keep this on file for the summer. As a camp operating under Cornell Cooperative Extension, the only exemptions from immunizations that we are allowed to accept are doctor issued medical exemptions. We also collect immunization records from staff to keep on file for the summer. The Health Department mandates that we destroy these files after the summer and collect new records from families before camp starts the next summer. In this way, we keep our documents up-to-date.
In order to prevent measles from entering and spreading in camp, we will be screening all campers and staff at the beginning of the camp week for any signs of illness, and for recent measles exposure. This will include asking the parent or guardian if the camper has had any recent illness symptoms, including fever, cough or rash in the preceding four days. If a camper has a positive screen, they will not be permitted to attend camp without clearance from a healthcare provider.
If there is a known measles exposure at camp, campers with less than 2 doses of MMR will be excluded from camp and sent home. Any camper with two documented doses of MMR vaccine does not need to be excluded from camp.
We issue annual receipts for all tax-deductible donations early each calendar year, before April.
If you require a receipt for program fees, please email email@example.com including the name of the account holder and the time period for which you need the receipt (eg. summer of 2019; fall of 2018). We do our best to respond within a week; in the busy summertime this may take longer.
If a single-day program (such as a school-break day) is canceled due to inclement weather, we will credit your payment toward a future program or refund your payment minus a $15 processing fee. If a single day of an ongoing program (such as a week-long camp, Homeschool program, or after-school programs) is canceled, no refunds will be made.
We will cancel our programs if the Ithaca City School District cancels school due to snow or hazardous weather. We will cancel Afterschool if ICSD cancels after school programs due to snow or hazardous weather. If the program takes place on a school break day or holiday, we will cancel our programs if the Tompkins County sheriff declares that the roads are closed due to hazardous conditions. If there is a 2 hour delay, we will delay our program for 1 hour. As always, we encourage people to travel only when they feel it is safe. You can check here for current school and road closings.
Please look for registration status in your Account Portal. If you see "waitlist" then that participant is on the waitlist. Our registration software will not accept payment for a waitlisted participant. If a spot opens, we call and email the next waitlisted person and include a deadline for reply and payment arranged through the office. Our field staff cannot accept payments for programs.
- In order for any program change or refund request to be considered, it must be made in writing through the registrar, even if you have discussed this with another staff person, such as a field educator.
- The effective date of all refund requests is the date of the email notifying the Registrar of your request.
- Changes and refunds are NOT guaranteed and only the Registrar can process these changes.
- Epic Days and donations (amount paid above the base rate) are nonrefundable.
- All deposits (even "non-refundable deposits") will be returned if you are unable to participate in a program for lack of approval of a scholarship request.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, phone number, the participant's name, the full program name(s), and the program start date(s).
No phone calls.
Refer to the program-specific policies below:
Academic Year (except Ithaca Forest Preschool):
- If you cancel 30 or more days prior to the program starting date, you are entitled to a full refund, minus the deposit & any donation above the sliding scale base rate.
- If you cancel between 14 and 30 days prior to the program starting date, Primitive Pursuits will retain half the program tuition, after the deposit & any donation above the sliding scale base rate.
- If you cancel fewer than 14 days prior to the program starting date or after the program has begun, there will be no refunds.
- Epic Day fees are non-refundable/transferable
Ithaca Forest Preschool:
- Deposits are nonrefundable. If you cancel after a program payment in full due date (in 2019-20 these dates are August 1st, November 1st, and February 1st), there are no refunds.
Summer 2019: Day Camps/Growing Wild
1. If you cancel before May 1st, choose:
- full credit transferable to another summer camp in 2019 with available space ($200 Growing Wild; $300 Day Camp) OR
- partial refund of the full fee minus non-refundable deposit and any donation above the base rate ($100 Growing Wild; $200 Day Camp)
2. If you cancel between May 1st to June 1st, choose:
- partial credit of the full fee minus the deposit, transferable to another summer camp in 2019 with available space
- partial refund of 50% of the full fee minus non-refundable deposit and any donation above the base rate)
3.If you cancel between June 1st and July 1st:
- partial credit transferable to another summer camp in 2019 (50% of fee minus deposit)
- there are NO refunds
4. After July 1st there are NO credit transfers.
Epic Day Fees are non-refundable/transferable.
Donations are non-refundable.
Summer 2019: Arnot Forest Camps
For more information regarding Arnot Forest Camp payment policies please visit our Arnot Forest Camps FAQ and scroll to the Registration and Paperwork Details section.
These policies are also available in a downloadable PDF here.
"It’s been really great! My son has really gained a lot of confidence and problem solving skills, the counselors were wonderful role models for him." A.R., Summer Camp Parent
As a passionate connector of people and nature and nature-connection enthusiast, Wren loves roaming the forests and valleys soaking up the sights and sounds.