Counselor In Training
Take your skills up a notch, get valuable training, and spend an unforgettable summer forging friendships as part of a team!
Join us for the Summer!
Applications for Summer 2019 will open January 2019
Thank you for your interest! Read below for more information and school year opportunities.
Join us for the School Year!
Experience the benefits of our C.I.T. program all year round.
As a Teen Counselor with Primitive Pursuits you will have the opportunity to learn and teach side by side with our seasoned year-round staff in the following areas:
- Leadership & Team Building
- Environmental Studies
- Primitive Technologies
- Curriculum Design & Implementation
- Mentoring Practices
Many graduates have continued on with Primitive Pursuits and other local nature awareness programs as paid employees. Others, after graduating high school, have gone on to establish popular outdoor adventure programs while at schools like Tufts University and SUNY ESF - a testament to the experience they had here with Youth Environmental Leadership.
You will also have the opportunity to gain one-on-one mentoring in both primitive and naturalist skills, as well as gain assistance in any resume building endeavors you seek.
Who: Teens aged 13 -17
When: Spaces are also available for each after school, school break, and home school program.
Mentor and receive mentoring through our summer camp programs.
A Day in the Life of a CIT:
CIT's arrive at camp early to participate in the pre-day game plan with staff. This sneak peek behind the scenes allows teens to begin developing an awareness for both curriculum design as well as the need for improvisation, making last minute changes due to things like weather or new opportunities. Throughout the day they will play dual roles; both as participants, practicing skills with the group, and as assistants, being called upon to lead activities. At the end of each day they will be asked to participate with others staff in our daily debrief, and to assist in our after camp care.
We set a high bar for creating powerful experiences for all our participants, and our youth leaders are in the unique position of practicing mentoring skills with the support of our seasoned staff in a camp setting. If you join us this summer as a C.I.T or Jr. Counselor you will also have access to the following:
1. Skill Training Days - CIT's get direct instruction from core Primitive Pursuits staff. Before the start of summer programs you will also attend our summer staff training.
2. Leadership Opportunities - Mentoring younger participants at programs each week, and build on your interpersonal skills through engaging with others.
3. One on one coaching and skill assessment in four core areas: Primitive Technology, Outdoor Skills, Teaching, Teamwork and Professionalism.
4. Resumé Assistance - Put it on your Resumé or CV. We provide references for job and college applications!
5. Regalia - The coveted, limited edition 2018 Mentor or C.I.T shirt.
Are you ready for the challenge? See below for more details about eligibility and details.
Who: Teens aged 13 -15
When: CIT spaces are offered each week of summer.
What: CITs are eligible for Day Camps and Growing Wild Camps. CITs are eligible to work with instructors on our Advanced Day Camps and Specialty Camps by invitation only.
How: Fill out our application below - there are limited spaces available in the CIT program. We will schedule an interview with each applicant and start accepting people into the program in April 2018.
- All CITS are required to participate in the Staff Training Day on Friday, June 22.
- All CITs are required to participate in either Coyote Camp or Coyote Trek depending on their age. CITs must apply and be accepted into the program first, before registering for the program.
- Coyote Camp for 13 and 14 yr olds: Week 1: June 25-29
- $360-460 sliding scale: includes one week of Coyote Camp and two weeks as a CIT in day camp
- Monday through Friday day camp, with Thursday Overnight for 14 year olds only
- Coyote Trek for 15 year olds: Week 5: Tues July 24 - Thurs 26
- $360-460 sliding scale: includes one week of Coyote Trek and two weeks as a CIT in day camp
- 3 Days and 2 Overnights, picking up and dropping off at CCE
- Additional weeks as a CIT costs $50-100, sliding scale.
- CIT's are required to do at least 2 weeks as a CIT over the course of the summer, and encouraged to do more.
Currently accepting School Year CIT applications. Please use link below.
*All programs are priced on a self determined sliding scale. Funds received above the base rate are tax-deductible and used for scholarships.
"We tend to block off many of our senses when we're staring at a screen. Nature time can literally bring us to our senses." Richard Louv, Author of 'The Last Child in the Woods'