Junior Counselor Program
Gain skills and professional experience teaching side-by-side with seasoned expert wilderness skills Instructors
Ready for a new adventure?
Join us this summer as a Junior Counselor for 16 and 17 year olds!
A Day in the Life of:
A typical day will go something like this: Jr. Counselors will arrive at camp early to participate in the pre-day game plan with staff. This sneak peek behind the scenes allows teens to begin developing an awareness for both curriculum design as well as the need for improvisation, making last minute changes due to things like weather or new opportunities. Throughout the day they will play duel roles; both as participants, practicing skills with the group, and as assistants, being called upon to lead activities. At the end of each day they will be asked to participate with others staff in our daily debrief and to assist in our after camp care.
But wait there's more!
To achieve the high bar we set for ourselves creating powerful experiences for each participant we put a lot into our Youth Leadership Training programs. If you join us this summer as a Jr. Counselor you will also have access to the following:
1. Skill training days - teens get direct instruction from core Primitive Pursuits staff. Prior to summer you will be part of our summer staff training.
2. Leadership opportunities - teens get experience mentoring younger participants at programs each week
3. One on one coaching and skill assessment in four core areas: Primitive Technology, Outdoor Skills, Teaching, Teamwork and Professionalism.
4. Resume assistance - References for job and college placement.
5. Regalia - The coveted, limited edition 2016 Mentor or C.I.T shirt
6. Paid positions available! We have a limited number of paid positions for Junior Counselors and encourage teens to apply early to secure a paid position. Once positions have been filled, we will accept volunteer Junior Counselors. As an alternative, please consider becoming a member of the the YES Program of the Ithaca Youth Bureau to learn more about other avenues for paid employment.
How to get started:
Who: Teens and young adults aged 16-17
When: Jr. Counselors spaces are offered each week of summer -- including our Growing Wild program for preschoolers.
Being a Jr. Counselor for multiple weeks is possible and encouraged.
"Primitive Pursuits not only gave my son a level of confidence he'd never known, it also gave him useful skills that he has gone on to use out in the world. His fire building know-how was unparalleled on his month-long Outward Bound journey this past summer." Todd Ayoung, Parent