- Willow BasketryApril 7 - 8, 2018Join us for a weekend of wandering the creeks and floodplains harvesting willow and crafting willow baskets. Students will craft a medium to large willow basket.
- Black Ash BasketsMay 4-6, 2018Explore the process of making Adirondack pack baskets from the beautiful black ash tree.
- FlintknappingSpring, 2018This weekend will focus on the art of shaping stone into useable tools with a focus on arrowheads.
- Bow MakingFall, 2018We will take bulky pieces of wood and work following the grain to transform them into sleek, efficient hunting tools.
- Hide TanningFall, 2018This weekend we will learn how our ancestors transformed animal hides into beautiful and durable clothing material.
- Winter TrackingWinter, 2019Accomplished instructors Jason Hamilton and Jed Jordan will distill many years of teaching this skill into a track-packed weekend of honing your skills.
Ancient Skills. Good Company. Great Weekends!
Mastering the key elements needed for survival in the outdoors isn't just for wilderness instructors. Each skill we teach has a practical application but also simply shifts our perspective on how to live closer to nature. Expect to have your edges pushed and your skills tested no matter where you are in your wilderness skills journey.
"Another thing that stands out is how I actually feel like I know this deer now; how much compassion I feel for her; and how strongly I want to honor her life by using her hide, bones, meat, and sinew. The more work I put into turning her gifts into useful and beautiful things, the more respect I give her." T.C., Wilderness Year Participant
Wilderness Weekends generally require all day Saturday and Sunday from 9am until late afternoon. Some programs have a Friday night component to allow some initial instruction. Please check your programs detail page for specific time tables.
What to Bring
- Water Bottle
- Lunch & Snacks
- Notebook & Pencil
- Weather appropriate and comfortable clothing
- Sturdy Shoes
"I wanted to take this course because even though I live in the woods, am surrounded by woods when I become caught up in my schedule, I just don’t take the time to get out." E.R., Workshop Participant