Coyote Camp & Coyote Trek - CIT
Youth Leadership (13-15)
Dates & Locations
All teens interested in our CIT program must first apply through our website and be admitted before registration will be processed directly through the office. Application deadline for the CIT program is April 12th, 2019.
As part of the Counselor-In-Training Program, all teens 13-15 are required to complete one of our two CIT training weeks (Coyote Camp and Coyote Trek). Which week you participate will depend on your age and/or how many years you have completed our CIT program (outlined below). The CIT program includes the training week and at least two camp weeks as a CIT. Additional CIT weeks cost $50-100 sliding scale.
COYOTE CAMP (for CITs ages 13-14, or first or second year in CIT program) Week 1: July 1-5 - Monkey Run Natural Area
Thursday Overnight for 14 year olds: $60
ALL IN! We hear your call for ridiculous fun with all the toppings: This is your chance to run with the pack and brush up on your skills before your leadership is put to the test this summer. Join this week of teen-focused challenges, character building and wilderness skills.
COYOTE TREK (for CITs age 15, or third year in CIT program) Week 5: July 30-August 1 - Arnot Forest
Enjoy an advanced coyote camp experience alongside your peers and trusted mentors. This two night overnight will test your skills, knowledge and team building potential. Join us on Tuesday morning at the Arnot Forest for a three days and two nights wilderness experience. Build your base camp, cook your meals over an open fire, and have the space and time to explore your passions and skills as a teen leader. Prerequisite: Minimum one year of Coyote Camp/CIT Program
JUNIOR COUNSELORS (16 and 17 yr olds)
Experienced teen leaders ages 16-17 teach side by side with our senior staff as Assistant Instructors. Junior Counselors are are exposed to advanced levels of wilderness and interpersonal skills, including coaching, and giving and receiving feedback as part of program planning. Teens can choose from 10 possible camp weeks. We have a limited number of paid teen positions, so please apply early to claim your spot. Paid positions for teens may also be available through the Ithaca Youth Bureau, visit yesithaca.org.
† Tuition is based on a self-determined sliding scale. Funds received above the minimum go to our scholarship fund as a tax-deductible donation (you will receive a receipt at the end of the year).
- Please refer to the details in descriptions for Coyote Camp and Coyote Trek
- Price includes Coyote Camp/Trek plus 2 CIT weeks!†
per session Scholarships Available
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Please supply yourself/your child with plenty of healthy snacks, lunch, and water each day. These are active children, and they get HUNGRY! Protein, fat, and fiber are especially important for providing long-burning energy.
For programs at 4-H Acres: it is an on-demand TCAT stop, and there is a bus that can arrive right around 9am. We do not arrange carpooling, but you are welcome to discuss this at drop off or pickup with other participants/parents who may be interested.
At Primitive Pursuits we are committed to making our programs available to as many people as possible. To this end, we generate scholarships via our sliding-scale fee on a program-to-program basis. Any contributions made over the minimum of the sliding scale for all our programs are tax-deductible donations to our scholarship fund. Thus, scholarships are limited to the sum of these funds and are awarded based on equitable distribution.
We review donations the first week of each month, and make decisions regarding scholarship awards soon thereafter.
Recipients will be notified by email and given a timeframe within which to accept or decline the amount awarded and complete payment of the balance.
Additional Outside Sources for Scholarships:
Although we do our best to make sure that everyone can attend our programs, please also consider applying right away to the following supplemental financial assistance programs, to allow them time for processing your application:
- Ithaca Youth Bureau ECHO Scholarship - This scholarship is through the Ithaca Youth Bureau and intended for youth in Tompkins County, at any time of year.
- The Town of Danby offers grants to youth up to age 21 for camps and afterschool programs. Info & application: firstname.lastname@example.org or on the Town Hall bulletin board.
- If you live outside of the Towns of Ithaca and Danby, inquire at your local town hall for possibilities of youth scholarships. Please let us know of any resources you find!
What to Know About Our Scholarships Before Applying:
- The maximum scholarship we can supply for any program is outlined below by program type.
- Larger scholarships are considered under extenuating circumstances, and on a case by case basis.
- Scholarship applications must be submitted a minimum of 30 days before the program start date to ensure consideration. You may apply closer to the start date, but we cannot guarantee a response before the program begins.
Maximum Scholarship Amounts by Program:
- After School, Homeschool and School Break programs: 50% of program cost up to $100.
- Growing Wild Summer Camp: $50 per week for a maximum of 2 weeks of camp per child.
- Summer Day Camp: $100 per week for a maximum of 2 weeks of camp per child.
- Overnight Camp: $225 per week of overnight camp for a maximum of 2 weeks of camp.
- Forest Preschool Trimester: $100 in scholarship for the first day/week, then $50 for each additional day/week (e.g., If you are registered for Mondays & Wednesdays, the maximum amount in scholarship would be $150)
- Adult Workshops: 50% of program cost up to $100.
- Wilderness Skills/Nature Mentoring: up to $300
- Wilderness Year: up to $1000
How to Apply:
- Create an Online Account Portal using a computer and Firefox or Chrome (not Safari or Explorer, not on a tablet or smartphone)
- Sign up for your selected program(s) and pay a deposit (EXCEPT summer camps after May 1, email email@example.com to arrange deposit payment thru Registrar).
- Complete a separate scholarship application for EACH participant and EACH program. Epic Days are not eligible for scholarship funds.
- (eg. Robin Bird for Base Camp starting 7/1/18, requesting $50; Jay Bird for Growing Wild Camp starting 7/1/18, requesting $25).
- If you are applying for a scholarship for more than the maximum amount listed above, please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with information about your circumstances.
Different programs have different program-specific policies.
Please see our Payment Policies page for more information.
- In order for any program change or refund request to be considered, it must be made in writing through the registrar, even if you have discussed this with another staff person, such as a field educator.
- The effective date of all refund requests is the DATE OF THE EMAIL notifying the Registrar of your request.
- Changes and refunds are NOT guaranteed and only the Registrar can process these changes.
- Epic Days and donations (amount paid above the base rate) are nonrefundable.
- All deposits (even "non-refundable deposits") will be returned if you are unable to participate in a program for lack of a scholarship request being approved.
Please email email@example.com with your full name, phone number, the participant's name, the full program name(s), and the program start date(s).
No phone calls, please.