At Growing Wild we create a home in nature for young children. In this all-outdoor camp, the kids often lead the way while caring adult mentors gently guide them to try new things.
Half-Day Summer Camp
Each day at Growing Wild, children explore the woods and stream and learn about the animals that call them home. Running, climbing, jumping, and splashing, they connect with their bodies and imaginations. Using natural materials like clay and rock-paint, they create works of woodland art. As a group we sing songs and tell stories, learning and growing together.
Eligibility for Growing Wild Summer Camp is dependent on the following criteria:
- Age and Toilet Training: Child must be 3 yrs old by May 1 and must be out of diapers/pull-ups and needing only minimal assistance with toileting. Children are encouraged to pee outside and to poop in a child potty that is kept at our base camp. Occasionally we are too far from a potty and need to use the nature bathroom (pee on the ground, poop in a hole) with assistance. There is also an indoor bathroom a short walk away.
$220-$320 per week based on a “choose your price” sliding scale.
Choose-Your-Price Sliding Scale System
At Primitive Pursuits we are committed to making our programs available to as many people as possible. To this end, we generate scholarships via our choose-your-price sliding scale program costs, on a program-to-program basis. The base rate of our programs covers the cost of the program. Any payments above the base rate are tax-deductible donations to our scholarship fund. When filing for taxes Primitive Pursuits is listed under “Cornell Cooperative Extension” Tax ID #16-6072897.
Space is not held until we’ve received payment in full. Use a computer or laptop with Firefox or Chrome to register online, since Safari and Explorer, and phones and tablets, are not compatible with our registration software.
Please visit our Program Policies page for additional information.
Our Choose-Your-Price Sliding Scale System
At Primitive Pursuits, we are committed to making our programs available to as many people as possible. To this end, we generate scholarships via our choose-your-price sliding scale program costs, on a program-to-program basis. The base rate of our programs covers the cost of the program. Any payments above the base rate are tax-deductible donations to our scholarship fund. When filing for taxes Primitive Pursuits is listed under “Cornell Cooperative Extension” Tax ID #16-6072897.
To learn more about financial assistance, please visit our Scholarships page.
Common Online Payment Troubleshooting Tips
- Please login to your Account Portal on a computer (not smartphone or tablet)
- Use Firefox or Chrome as your browser (not Explorer or Safari)
- Wait at least 30 seconds after submitting your payment for the screen to change (there is no visual symbol showing that the credit card payment is processing).
- If the payment does not go through and you are on a computer using Firefox or Chrome, it may be that your credit/debit card has a past expiration date on file. Try entering your current card as a ‘new’ card in the Account Portal.
- Check with your bank to determine whether your account has enough balance to cover the payment.
- If you have gone through the above steps, please email us for additional assistance:[email protected]
Pick Up/Drop Off Policy:
If your child is late to be picked up (or is dropped off early) you will be charged $20 per instance. By making payment for our programs you agree to this policy and agree to be charged accordingly. We are unable to provide supervision outside of the times indicated when you signed up for the program.
Should you need to pick up or drop off during a program:
Our camps are unique in that our programming occurs away from the drop-off area. Due to this aspect of our programs, getting a child to the parking lot or getting them to their group during program time can require extra staff and/or a restructuring of that day’s planned activities. We understand that your family is busy and everyone has a lot going on! Advance notice helps our instructors maintain the program’s structure with minimal disruption.
Contact our office via email ([email protected]
If you require a receipt for program fees, please email [email protected]including the name of the account holder and the time period for which you need the receipt (eg. summer of 2019; fall of 2018). We do our best to respond within a week; in the busy summertime this may take longer.
Please look for your registration status in your Account Portal. If you see “waitlist” then that participant is on the waitlist. Our registration software will not accept payment for a waitlisted participant. If a spot opens, we call and email the next waitlisted person and include a deadline for reply and payment arranged through the office. Our field staff cannot accept payments for programs.
Cancellations due to Weather and Other Acts of Nature
If a single day of an ongoing program (such as a week-long camp, Homeschool program, or after-school programs) is canceled, no refunds will be made.
Mandated Cancellations due to COVID-19
Our programs may be cancelled by local or state Departments of Health or other such regulatory agencies in the case of concerns around COVID-19.
Due to the continued need to plan for coronavirus-related program closures, we have updated our refund policy for our programs starting in 2021:
- At this time, we are reserving the right to retain up to half of payments made to programs, if necessary, should our programs be cancelled by authorities due to COVID-19. The sole reason for implementing this policy, should we choose to do so, would be to continue paying our staff a minimum amount of income to prevent lay-offs and harmful loss of income. Should a new COVID-19 stimulus package help us prevent such losses, then we would credit program payments to the extent we are able.
- This policy acknowledges a shared risk, both for families and for Primitive Pursuits, in continuing to achieve our shared mission at this time.
- We will consider exceptions to this policy based on financial hardship. For more information, please email our office: [email protected]
This section applies to cancellations and refund requests made by the Account Holder:
- In order for any program change or refund request to be considered, it must be made in writing through the Registrar, even if you have discussed this with another staff person, such as a field educator.
- The effective date of all refund requests is the date of the email notifying the Registrar of your request.
- Changes and refunds are NOT guaranteed and only the Registrar can process these changes.
- Epic Days and donations (amount paid above the base rate) are nonrefundable.
- If we are unable to approve a scholarship request which prevents you from participating in a program, all payments towards that program (even “non-refundable deposits”) will be returned if you.
Please email [email protected] with your full name, phone number, the participant’s name, the full program name(s), and the program start date(s).
No phone calls.
SUMMER 2021 Family-Initiated Cancellations:
1. If you cancel before May 1st, choose:
- full credit transferable to another summer camp in 2021 with available space ($220 Growing Wild; $300 Forest Village and Explorers, $330 other Day Camps) OR
- cash refund of: paid fees minus non-refundable deposit and any donation above the base rate
2. If you cancel between May 1st and June 1st, choose:
- camp credit of: paid fees minus any deposits and donations, transferable to another summer camp in 2021 with available space
- cash refund of: 50% of the above credit
3. If you cancel between June 1st and June 24th:
- camp credit of 50% of: paid fees minus any deposits and donations, transferable to another summer camp in 2021 (50% of fee minus deposit)
- no cash refunds are offered after June 1st
4. After June 24th there are NO credit transfers.
Epic Day Fees are non-refundable/transferable.