Summer Teen Leadership
At Primitive Pursuits, we are very focused on youth leadership & development and we rely on our teen leaders in the field.
Mentor In Training Program
Who: Interested teens ages 13-15
Our goal is to create powerful growth experiences for all of our teens. Under the wings of our seasoned Wilderness Instructor staff, our youth leaders are in the unique position of simultaneously observing and practicing mentoring skills while being mentored themselves.
BE AN INTEGRAL PART OF A THRIVING SUMMER CAMP…AS A MENTOR IN TRAINING!
*You may have noticed that we have changed the name of this evolving teen program from Counselor-In-Training (CIT) to Mentor-In-Training (MIT). This change was made in order to better align our position titles with our organization’s culture and mission. We believe the word “mentor” meaning; guiding, supporting, and teaching better represents what we strive to do out in the field. The program will be exactly the same in terms of training and opportunities.*
As a Mentor In Training with Primitive Pursuits you will have the opportunity to learn and teach side by side with our seasoned staff in the following areas:
- Leadership and Team Building
- Earth Living/Outdoor/Naturalist Skills
- Primitive Technologies
- Awareness of Self and Others
- Mentoring Practices
- Communication and Professionalism
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A SUMMER MENTOR IN TRAINING:
Our Mentors In Training become part of a team of instructors working with a group of campers for the week. They arrive at camp early each day to participate in team-building, game-planning, and preparation time with the rest of the staff. This sneak peek behind the scenes allows teens to begin developing an awareness for both curriculum design as well as the need for improvisation, making last-minute changes due to things like weather or new opportunities. Throughout the day they play dual roles; both as participants, practicing skills along with the group, and as assistants, being called upon to lead activities. At the end of each day they participate in our daily debrief, receiving and offering valuable feedback, sharing stories and closing the circle for the day. Some teens will assist in our after-camp care, Epic Day.
All Summer MITs participate in Coyote Camp, plus two weeks in the MIT program being mentored by and assisting Wilderness Instructors in day camp programs. Returning third-year MITs may be invited to Coyote Trek July 25-29.
Mentors In Training do not directly supervise younger campers and are not included in our staff to camper ratios.
COYOTE CAMP IS OUR WEEK-LONG TEEN LEADERSHIP TRAINING EXPERIENCE!
Coyote Camp will be at 4H Acres, meeting Monday through Friday during regular Day Camp hours. There is an optional Thursday Overnight for 14 and 15-year-old Mentors In Training.
What to expect from Coyote Camp:
- Receive direct instruction and mentoring from core Primitive Pursuits staff
- Practice your own mentoring skills in the field working with younger campers
- Dive deeper into primitive technology, outdoor and naturalist skills alongside experienced mentors
- Experience one on one coaching and skill assessment in five core areas: Mentoring Practices, Primitive/Outdoor/Naturalist Skills, Leadership and Teamwork, Communication and Professionalism, and Awareness (Nature, Self, Others, and the Big Picture)
- Bonus! Receive the coveted, limited edition Mentor In Training T-shirt
Are you ready for the challenge?!