Week #6: Amphibians & Insects
Ideas on how to incorporate the theme:
Your flock can choose to center your week around amphibians, insects or both!
This is a great activity for Opening Circle. Role model moving your body like a certain animal and ask your campers to copy you. Invite campers to pick an animal and share its movement
- Use field guides and/or magnifying glasses
- Creek play
- Have your campers make an aquarium and a terrarium and talk about why animals that live in different environments need different things
- Keep track of all of the different animals you find using a phenology chart. Your flock can add to it every day. You could also come together with another flock and share what you all found
- Make a bug hotel
- Compete in the frog olympics!
- Build houses for toads
- Frog Game
- Have your flock sit in a circle
- The first person says “one frog.” The next person says “2 eyes,” the third person says “4 legs,” the fourth says “in the puddle,” and the fifth says “ker-plop.”
- The next person starts over with “2 frogs” and the game continues as follows: 4 eyes, 8 legs, in the puddle, in the puddle, ker-plop, ker-plop. See how many frogs you can get up to. This may be done to a beat of claps and snaps.
- Song suggestions:
- Frogs In Yonder Pond
- The Critter Song (linked)
- Create your own insect song!
Some questions you could ask:
- How many insects do you think are in the world? More or less than humans?