Specialty Camp (Ages 11-14)
Dates & Locations
Our goal for this week is for campers to make and bring home a primitive archery set! Spend most of each day working your bow stave under the guidance of seasoned bowyers. You’ll connect with the history of each individual tree as you tiller a raw stave into a bow. Twist cordage, cut and fire-straighten arrow shafts, and fletch them with real feathers and natural glue. Practice basic shooting and hunting techniques between carving sessions to round out your week. Add $30 material fee.
† Tuition is based on a self-determined sliding scale. Funds received above the minimum go to our scholarship fund as a tax-deductible donation (you will receive a receipt at the end of the year).
- 9:00am - 3:00pm
- We offer free coverage from 8:30AM - 3:30PM to allow a half hour of flex time for drop off and pick up.
- $300 - $400†
per session Add $30 materials fee. Scholarships Available.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Please supply yourself/your child with plenty of healthy snacks, lunch, and water each day. These are active children, and they get HUNGRY! Protein, fat, and fiber are especially important for providing long-burning energy.
For programs at 4-H Acres: it is an on-demand TCAT stop, and there is a bus that can arrive right around 9am. We do not arrange carpooling, but you are welcome to discuss this at drop off or pickup with other participants/parents who may be interested.
We are outside the vast majority of the time; however we do have access to several places to go “in”, including a tipi, a pavilion, and a heated building with bathrooms. Parents learn to dress their children for the weather, and children learn how to stay--or get--warm and dry. Our motto is, "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing." And remember:
Whether the weather is cold
Or whether the weather is hot
Whether the weather is fair
Or whether the weather is not
We'll weather the weather
Whatever the weather
Whether we like it or not.
At Primitive Pursuits we are committed to making our programs available to as many people as possible. To this end, we generate scholarships via our sliding-scale fee on a program-to-program basis. Any contributions made over the minimum of the sliding scale for all our programs are tax-deductible donations to our scholarship fund. Thus, scholarships are limited to the sum of these funds and are awarded based on equitable distribution.
We review donations the first week of each month, and make decisions regarding scholarship awards soon thereafter.
Recipients will be notified by email and given a timeframe within which to accept or decline the amount awarded and complete payment of the balance.
Additional Outside Sources for Scholarships:
Although we do our best to make sure that everyone can attend our programs, please also consider applying right away to the following supplemental financial assistance programs, to allow them time for processing your application:
- Ithaca Youth Bureau ECHO Scholarship - This scholarship is through the Ithaca Youth Bureau and intended for youth in Tompkins County, at any time of year.
- The Town of Danby offers grants to youth up to age 21 for camps and afterschool programs. Info & application: firstname.lastname@example.org or on the Town Hall bulletin board.
- If you live outside of the Towns of Ithaca and Danby, inquire at your local town hall for possibilities of youth scholarships. Please let us know of any resources you find!
What to Know About Our Scholarships Before Applying:
- The maximum scholarship we can supply for any program is outlined below by program type.
- Larger scholarships are considered under extenuating circumstances, and on a case by case basis.
- Scholarship applications must be submitted a minimum of 30 days before the program start date to ensure consideration. You may apply closer to the start date, but we cannot guarantee a response before the program begins.
Maximum Scholarship Amounts by Program:
- After School, Homeschool and School Break programs: 50% of program cost up to $100.
- Growing Wild Summer Camp: $50 per week for a maximum of 2 weeks of camp per child.
- Summer Day Camp: $100 per week for a maximum of 2 weeks of camp per child.
- Overnight Camp: $225 per week of overnight camp for a maximum of 2 weeks of camp.
- Forest Preschool Trimester: $100 in scholarship for the first day/week, then $50 for each additional day/week (e.g., If you are registered for Mondays & Wednesdays, the maximum amount in scholarship would be $150)
- Adult Workshops: 50% of program cost up to $100.
- Wilderness Skills/Nature Mentoring: up to $300
- Wilderness Year: up to $1000
How to Apply:
- Create an Online Account Portal using a computer and Firefox or Chrome (not Safari or Explorer, not on a tablet or smartphone)
- Sign up for your selected program(s) and pay a deposit (EXCEPT summer camps after May 1, email email@example.com to arrange deposit payment thru Registrar).
- Complete a separate scholarship application for EACH participant and EACH program. Epic Days are not eligible for scholarship funds.
- (eg. Robin Bird for Base Camp starting 7/1/18, requesting $50; Jay Bird for Growing Wild Camp starting 7/1/18, requesting $25).
- If you are applying for a scholarship for more than the maximum amount listed above, please email our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with information about your circumstances.
Different programs have different program-specific policies.
Please see our Payment Policies page for more information.
- In order for any program change or refund request to be considered, it must be made in writing through the registrar, even if you have discussed this with another staff person, such as a field educator.
- The effective date of all refund requests is the DATE OF THE EMAIL notifying the Registrar of your request.
- Changes and refunds are NOT guaranteed and only the Registrar can process these changes.
- Epic Days and donations (amount paid above the base rate) are nonrefundable.
- All deposits (even "non-refundable deposits") will be returned if you are unable to participate in a program for lack of a scholarship request being approved.
Please email email@example.com with your full name, phone number, the participant's name, the full program name(s), and the program start date(s).
No phone calls, please.