We Are Committed to Inclusion
At Primitive Pursuits we are committed to making our programs available to as many people as possible. To this end, we generate scholarships via our sliding-scale fee on a program-to-program basis. Any contributions made over the minimum of the sliding scale for all our programs are tax-deductible donations to our scholarship fund. Thus, scholarships are limited to the sum of these funds and are awarded based on equitable distribution.
We review donations the first week of each month, and make decisions regarding scholarship awards soon thereafter.
Recipients will be notified by email and given a timeframe within which to accept or decline the amount awarded and complete payment of the balance.
Additional Outside Sources for Scholarships:
Although we do our best to make sure that everyone can attend our programs, please also consider applying right away to the following supplemental financial assistance programs, to allow them time for processing your application:
- Ithaca Youth Bureau ECHO Scholarship - This scholarship is through the Ithaca Youth Bureau and intended for youth in Tompkins County, at any time of year.
- The Town of Danby offers grants to youth up to age 21 for camps and afterschool programs. Info & application: email@example.com or on the Town Hall bulletin board.
- If you live outside of the Towns of Ithaca and Danby, inquire at your local town hall for possibilities of youth scholarships. Please let us know of any resources you find!
What to Know About Our Scholarships Before Applying:
- The maximum scholarship we can supply for any program is outlined below by program type.
- Larger scholarships are considered under extenuating circumstances, and on a case by case basis.
- Scholarship applications must be submitted a minimum of 30 days before the program start date to ensure consideration. You may apply closer to the start date, but we cannot guarantee a response before the program begins.
Maximum Scholarship Amounts by Program:
- After School, Homeschool and School Break programs: 50% of program cost up to $100.
- Growing Wild Summer Camp: $50 per week for a maximum of 2 weeks of camp per child. If your child is eligible for FREE lunch and you give us a copy of that letter, we will consider requests up to $100.
- Summer Day Camp: $100 per week for a maximum of 2 weeks of camp per child. If your child is eligible for FREE lunch and you give us a copy of that letter, we will consider requests up to $200.
- Overnight Camp: $225 per week of overnight camp for a maximum of 2 weeks of camp. If your child is eligible for FREE lunch and you give us a copy of that letter, we will consider requests for a greater amount.
- Forest Preschool Trimester: $100 in scholarship for the first day/week, then $50 for each additional day/week (e.g., If you are registered for Mondays & Wednesdays, the maximum amount in scholarship would be $150)
- Adult Workshops: 50% of program cost up to $100.
- Wilderness Skills/Nature Mentoring: up to $300
- Wilderness Year: up to $1000
How to Apply:
- Create an Online Account Portal using a computer and Firefox or Chrome (not Safari or Explorer, not on a tablet or smartphone)
- Sign up for your selected program(s) and pay a deposit (EXCEPT summer camps after May 1, at the payment screen select "pay later with cash or check" then email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange deposit payment thru Registrar. This can be done with a credit/debit card or cash, check).
- Complete a separate scholarship application for EACH participant and EACH program. Epic Days are not eligible for scholarship funds.
- (eg. Robin Bird for Base Camp starting 7/1/18, requesting $50; Jay Bird for Growing Wild Camp starting 7/1/18, requesting $25).
- If you are applying for a scholarship for more than the maximum amount listed above, please email our office at email@example.com with information about your circumstances.